POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povray standard include files : Re: povray standard include files Server Time
1 Aug 2024 02:17:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray standard include files
From: nemesis
Date: 15 Nov 2006 18:40:01
Message: <web.455ba432341a4ab72e704a1e0@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter:
"The response I got was:  'It looks like hardened lava'"

Jim, your friend is nuts. :)

seriously, it's a sea of dark blue hardened lava under a blue sky and
reflecting the fading sunset like only hardened lava can!  He's the kind of
guy who goes watch Jurassic Park and goes saying: "Look! another CG
dinosaur!  They can't fool me!" because he knows dinosaurs are not around
to be filmed live and walking robots are still a ways off...

ingo:
"http://objects.povworld.org/"

yes, i send a mail to the site owner about this very discussion but did not
get a reply.

"The POV-Team, and maybe the whole community, is too small to
maintain everything that could be put in."

This is a very good point, but, you see, povray has a very high backwards
compatibility rate.  Even stuff from many years ago can, with just minor
tweaks, run in the latest povray binary.  This is good.  Now, how many
times does the POV-Team has true issues with the stdlib as it is today?
Not really many, i guess.  It's solid code and the SDL backwards
compatibility just ensures this further.  There's not much "bugfixing" in
povray scenes and include files, there's much more additions of new
features and a few fixes to macros.  Textures and objects don't really need
that much attention.  The Utah Teapot is still running just fine. :)

So, my point is that bringing povray standard collection of predefined
objects and textures to more modern times, wouldn't necessarily put more
work onto the shoulders of the maintainers, i believe.

"Would it be useful to create a repository like the above and add to POV-
Ray the option to #include from an URI?
#include "http://incs.povray.org/kitchens.inc""

I don't see how it would help, since the URI can be severely outdated as
well as the files.  It certainly isn't the same as getting a featureful and
more up-to-date standard library...

Summarizing the discussion up to this point, i see people concerned with
copyrights, people suggesting texture contests, URI includes, or the same
old povray objects repository, all of which fall flat of not being included
and integrated to povray.  I see no one actually giving a thought to a more
up-to-date standard include files collection, which was the point of this
post.

Fine by me, but i'll do something about it... i'm thinking something alone
the lines of:  shoot first, ask later.